Sunday 27 February 2011

Whale Watching

I really have no words to describe the beauty of my surroundings as I write this.  Through the generosity of one of our MCC families, Brenda and I are at the end of a 10 day stay on the big island of Hawaii where we have just finished hosting Efrem and Donetia Smith, our new conference Superintendent and his wife.  Of course, we also mixed in a few days of writing and hand-holding.  Then, last night after dropping our guests off at the airport, we spent the evening with new friends we made during our last trip here.  You may remember a story about them from a sermon I preached this last year.  They are the ones who lost their dear son Matt, and, during the scattering of his ashes at sea, suddenly jumped off the boat, into the water, and through the middle of their son's ashes.  I told them again yesterday about how I had used that story because it was such an excellent example of what Jesus invites us to do in response to his death for us - to "jump through his ashes" and find new life.  Buddy and his wife, Joyce, are famous in the world of rock and roll, making some of the most desired guitars in that business (see "Buddy Blaze Guitars" if you want to learn more about them) but to us, they are just close, new friends with whom we were blessed to enjoy a wonderful sunset and some great time in a beautiful location.

And this is certainly a beautiful location.  As I write I sit at a rectangular stone table that's located on the lanai just outside the great room of this lovely home.  I'm seated with my back to that room, meaning that I face directly west, about 100 feet away from the breaking waves that not only sooth with the sounds they make as they crash onto the black lava beach that's just outside the gate, but frame a 180 degree view of the pacific -  it's deep blue hue serving as the playground for breeching whales, jumping dolphins, and even the occasional long distance swimmer in training for the next "Iron Man" competition.

As we sat quietly next to each other before that great ocean last evening, glasses full of wine and heads full of awe, I asked my friend Buddy what he thought it was about this place that was so soothing.  "I don't know,"  he said.  "I think this is just an inspired place."  That's been what I've been thinking about during this 8th week of our three month sabbatical:  "the role of an inspiring place in the worship and service of God."  Brenda and I felt that same thing as we prayed for you, our MCC church family, while kneeling in the abbey in Bath, England a couple of weeks ago.  And we certainly sense it here, as the sights, sounds, and surroundings all do something to our souls that can't be explained in any way other than the way Buddy, not a follower of Christ in the way most of us would describe ourselves, put it.  "I think this is just an inspired place."  And I thank God for the reminder I'm receiving here about the importance of atmosphere in the journey we call the Christian faith.

We'll be changing locations again the day after tomorrow as we head back to Marin.  Brenda will return to work at Marin General, and I'll be taking up residence at a different table in one of our local libraries to continue writing (probably no longer in shorts, t-shirt, and flip flops from what I hear.)  Oh, and you can bet I'll be heading over to Costco from time to time, more in hopes of seeing one of you than for any other reason.  But I suspect that no matter where we are in the immediate future, whenever Brenda and I close our eyes we'll still see then what we see now with them open - a calm beauty that almost dares us to ever forget the presence of God and the hope of an excellent future.  I guess that's just the way it is with "inspired" environments.

'Till the next update (probably from Chicago,)

Art

No comments:

Post a Comment